Homeowners having earthy, warm, and glossy wood kitchen cabinets are the proud ones. But the beauty and functionality don’t remain for years unless they are properly taken care of. If you’re among these proud homeowners and want to keep up with the pride, do some upkeep.
You might find a reputed store from where you will order the high quality kitchen cabinets. No matter how good the quality is, the longevity can be ensured only when you are maintaining it properly. And that is why you should read on the blog. Here, we are discussing about how you can make the cabinets look amazing for years.
Tips to maintain wood kitchen cabinets
There are many notable wood cabinets available in the market. Some people prefer the warmth of walnut kitchen cabinets while others prefer the ease of using shaker cabinets. Irrespective of the preference, some common procedures must be followed to maintain the sheen and beauty as well as functionalities of the cabinets. And some of them are as follows.
- Regular application of oil is a must–As wooden cabinets are being installed in your kitchen, a campaign of tung oil or any mineral oil rubbed on the surface would be great. This protects the cabinets against regular wear and tear. Just pour the essential amount of the oil onto the wooden surface and let the wood soak the oil. After around half an hour, rub off the extra oil with a soft cotton cloth while leaving a durable and stain-resistant surface. Do this at least once to twice every year.
- Don’t allow the spills to sit – Wipe up any spill on the surface as soon as possible even though you’ve allowed mineral oil to sink into the wooden surface of modern walnut cabinets. This won’t be the case for other liquids. While oil is essential for wood, other liquids can damage the same. If you accidentally spill wine, sauce, vinegar, or any other acidic or colored liquid on the countertop, wipe it up promptly. Otherwise, it may seep into the porous cell structure of timber and can stain the surface badly.
- Scrub away the scratches–Unless you wipe up the spills, they can cause unwanted stains that can be removed by sanding and natural stain removers. A light sanding with good quality sandpaper is enough to remove light scratches and stains. After sanding, don’t forget oiling the surface. But if the stain is tougher to be removed with sanding, take a piece of lemon and rub the wood with it. Take the required amount of salt as well because this can act as an abrasive to scrub the surface.
- The use of cutting boards is essential – Keep the cutting board handy so you don’t use the countertop as the cutting board. Well, it looks like a cutting board, but it is not actually. The knife marks on the wooden surface of the island can badly damage the look of the kitchen cabinets. You certainly don’t want such scratch marks on your otherwise spotless white shaker cabinets.
- Being preventative works – Wood doesn’t work well with steaming hot items like searing pots, unlike stone. Keep potholders and trivets within reach to keep the wooden surface free from damages and stains. Start this from the beginning and you don’t have to put any extra effort later to look for a potholder. Make this a habit.
Everyone loves to have good-looking fully-functional cabinets for their kitchen. These tips would help them maintain their beauty and functionality intact. Follow them regularly and ensure amazing quality life of your kitchen fixture.